Monday, 1 November 2010

End of the Line


I have learned a lot in over 4 years exploring Second Life. I have learned a lot about how virtual communities can form, about how people can communicate, and how Internet identity can become as real as any real life identity.

But most of all I have learned the the 3D web is not going to be dominated by Virtual Reality.

Virtual Worlds certainly have a critical role in the future of gaming, education, business, therapy, and 3D modelling. But I am now starting to see them as more support. At our present levels of technology the future direction in 3D web, an Internet engaged in the urban lives more and more of humanity is living. An Internet that is integrated in to the Real, giving humans the support to form social meaning in the complex urban spaces in which they live.

What has changed? Well most the evolution of Smartphones. Applications like Layar and foursquare which enable me to go out with people, to share with my loved ones in the real world, and to explore London, which is far more amazing than any virtual world is likely to be.

Its not that I am giving up on Virtual Reality, but I am more and more going to use my time to explore the emerging 3D world of augmented reality.

Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Official Linden Blog