Friday, 10 September 2010

How Foursquare turns the Real World in to a "Virtual World"


Above is a model of an area of London with my foursquare check ins. What is interesting is to view this against the images I took of the actual place. Foursquare has taken the data gathered from my walking to work and turned it in to something that can be converted in to a virtual reality.



My check ins over the day can be exported to KML and then mapped on to a map of London. You can even see me getting on the train in Turnpike Lane and Office in Leicster Square. The tube provides a kind of slow TP for the real world.



With foursquare I can now view the data of my day in London much like a Second Life. The thing is that in Cafe Rouge I was actually able to have a glass of wine with my wife. At Pret A Manger I was able to have an apple and coffee. In the VUE I could actually eat popcorn and see a movie.

London is now not only real buy also virtual. In Second Life I could scan over the map and look for where events are taking place, where people are. With foursquare and twitter I can now do this in the real work with my iPhone and PC.

Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life
Posted by Picasa
Post a Comment

Official Linden Blog