Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Mixed review for Blue Mars


I really like the way Blue Mar's CryEngine 2 renders the virtual space. Linden Labs Second Life technology is not even in the some ballpark on this one. The trees and shadows look almost like you are in a movie, and the distant horizon does not fade out but actually composed a lovely Vista unmatched by anything in Second LIfe.

Okay that said, there are some major costs to going to Blue Mars, and I would hope the people at Avatar Reality can resolve some of them.

Firstly moving about is way to clumsy. Though I have a very high end machine I am finding it very difficult to explore just one lush region.

Secondly no one is around. Though I imagine time may fix this it is even more empty than Second Life. In SL you can usually find a party of some kind.

And the downloads before you can go to a region are probably too long. I have 150 Mbps Broadband and I still find myself having to wait 5 to 10 minutes to enter a region. Given the way people TP around SL this simply won't work out. Better compression or more client side processing would seem in order.

Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Official Linden Blog