Thursday, 22 July 2010

Collaboration Web 4.0, bringing the web together in 3D



One of the potential powers of a Virtual Reality interface to the web would be the ability to have a group bring multiple web interfaces in to one virtual space. In these pictures my avatar can explore an 3D space and interact with others. Using Second Life's IM I can text chat with others. But I also can open other channels via in world browsing and with Viewer 2 I can see YouTubes or Flash in world. Web pages in Viewer 2 can also be placed as the surface of objects.



This potential to create a virtual space which could connect real world and other web data in both real time and delayed slow time is what I call Web 4.0. I in Web 4.0 space is not a fixed quality, rather we generate hypothetical spaces as we need them, communities forming their own "world" to facilitate their collaboration across all channels and devices. I think this way of imaging and using the Internet will take off, if Second Life does not.

Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life
Posted by Picasa
Post a Comment

Official Linden Blog