Wednesday, 23 September 2009

The community on the self meets



Yesterday I wondered about community at Delphi - Self Assessment, Social Science, Psychology, well today I got to "hear" a rather nice talk about the location of the self in Second Life. I blog it here



The chat text of some of this is as follows:

[4:14] Lucian Ravinelli: I often RP a pirate in my RL persona in the SCA, it's not a surprise that I gravitate towards a pirate persona in my SL life.
[4:14] Reflection Freenote: yes, pye, and I wonder what that difference means to them in terms of what they explore and learn about in SL
[4:15] Reflection Freenote: yes, sharry so you began with realism and progressed to impressionism and then surrealism, and so evolved somewhat as art itself has in FL perhpas?
[4:15] Sharry Ragu: I think so.. there is a freedom in SL to express what cannot be expressed in FL
[4:16] Reflection Freenote: Lucian, what is SCA?
[4:16] Areyn Laurasia: Hi everyone
[4:16] Iynque Loire is dressed for Halloween... :)
[4:16] Dragana Noyes: hi all
[4:16] Sharry Ragu waves a hello to Areyn
[4:16] Reflection Freenote: hello areyn, we are just discussing the meaning of our avatars
[4:16] Areyn Laurasia: Aye, sorry I'm late
[4:16] Reflection Freenote: hello dragana
[4:16] Dragana Noyes: hi :)
[4:16] Pyewacket Kazyanenko: its lie contmplaing the meaning of life
[4:17] Sharry Ragu: lol
[4:17] Lucian Ravinelli: The SCA is Society for Creative Anachronism, they, re-create medival society, except without the religion and black plague :/
[4:17] Reflection Freenote: yes pye, very much:)) (or "self" whcih for a human being is very similar)
[4:18] Reflection Freenote: ahhhh Lucian fun!!!! no plague for me thanks (portajohns too I hope;-)
[4:19] Tristan Avedon: i will refrain from plague and religion myself, thanks. :)
[4:19] Reflection Freenote: I wonder if we often reflect upon the meaning of our personal "art" in creating and evolving the avatar?
[4:19] Lucian Ravinelli: yes it is very much fun, and yes they use the portajohns instead of throwing their waste into the street (altothough some people still piss in the road, myself included)


Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life
Posted by Picasa
Post a Comment

Official Linden Blog