Tuesday, 12 May 2009

American folk music in Second Life



Deadwood 1876

May 12, 2009 -- Backintyme presents:
Regional American Songs and Stories from the 19th Century performed in Second Life
Raymond and Mary Lee Frog




Lyrics
======

1. Camptown Races

The Camptown ladies sing this song. Doo-dah doo-dah!
The Camptown racetrack five miles long. Oh doo-dah-day!
I come down here with my had caved in. Doo-dah doo-dah!
I go back home with a pocket full of tin. Oh doo-dah-day!

[Chorus] Going to run all night! Going to run all day!
I'll bet my money on the bob-tail nag, Somebody bet on the bay!

The long-tail filly and the big black horse, Doo-dah Doo-dah!
They fly the track and they both cut across. Oh doo-dah-day.!
The blind horse's sticking in big mud hole. Doo-dah, doo-dah!
Can't touch bottom with a ten-foot pole, Oh doo-dah-day.!
[Chorus]

Old muley cow come onto the track. Doo-dah doo-dah!
The bob-tail fling her over his back. Oh doo-dah-day!
Then fly along like a railroad car. Doo-dah doo-dah!
Running a race with a shooting star. Oh doo-dah-day!
[Chorus]

======

2. Clementine

In a cavern, In a canyon, excavating for a mine,
Dwelt a miner forty-niner, and his daughter Clementine.

[Chorus]Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Clementine,
You are lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry Clementine.

Light she was and like a fairy, and her shoes were number nine;
Herring boxes, without topses, sandals were for Clementine.
[Chorus]

Drove she ducklings to the water, every morning just at nine;
Hit her foot against a splinter, fell into the foaming brine.
[Chorus]

Ruby lips above the water, blowing bubbles, soft and fine;
But Alas! I was no swimmer, so I lost my Clementine.
[Chorus]

Then the miner forty-niner, soon began to peak and pine,
Thought he oughter "jine" his daughter, now he's with his clementine.
[Chorus]

In a corner of the churchyard, where the myrtle boughs entwine,
Grow the roses in their poses, fertilized by Clementine.
[Chorus]

In my dreams she still doth haunt me, robed in garments soaked in brine.
Though in life I used to hug her, now she's dead, I'll draw the line.
[Chorus]

How I missed her, how I missed her, how I missed my Clementine.
Then I kissed her little sister, and forgot my Clementine.
[Chorus]

======

3. Tavern in The Town

There is a tavern in the town,
And there my true love sits him down,
And drinks his wine 'mid laughter gay and free,
And never, never thinks of me.

[Chorus]Fare thee well for I must leave thee.
Do not let this parting grieve thee.
Just remember that the best of friends must part.
Adieu, adieu, kind friends adieu.
I can no longer stay with you.
I'll hang my harp on a weeping willow tree,
And may the world go well with thee.

He left me for a damsel dark.
Each Friday night they used to spark.
And now my love, once true to me
Takes that dark damsel on his knee.
[Chorus]

Oh dig my grave both wide and deep,
With tombstones at my head and feet,
And on my breast carve a turtle dove
To signify I died of love.
[Chorus]

======

4. Gold Watch and Chain

[Chorus]Oh I'll pawn you my gold watch and chain, love
And I'll pawn you my gold wedding ring
I will pawn you this heart in my bosom
Only say that you'll love me again

Darling, how could I stay here without you
I have nothing to ease my poor heart
This old world would seem sad, love, without you
Tell me now that we never will part
[Chorus]

Take back all the gifts you have given
A diamond ring and a lock of your hair
And a card with your picture upon it
It's a face that is false but is fair
[Chorus]

Oh, the white rose that blooms in the garden
It grows with the love of my heart
It broke through on the day that I met you
It will die on the day that we part
[Chorus]

======

5. My Old Kentucky Home

The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home.
'Tis summer, the darkies are gay.
The corn top's ripe and the meadow's in the bloom.
The birds make music all the day.
The young folks roll on the little cabin floor,
All merry, all happy and bright.
By and by hard times come a knocking at the door, (pause)
Then my old Kentucky home, good night.

[Chorus] Weep no more, my lady,
Oh weep no more today.
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home,
For the old Kentucky home far away.

They hunt no more for the possum and the coon
In the meadow, the hill and the shore.
They sing no more by the glimmer of the moon
On the bench by the old cabin door.
The day goes by like a shadow o'er the heart,
'Tis sorrow where all was delight.
The time has come when the darkies have to part,
Then my old Kentucky home, good night.
[Chorus]

The head must bow and the back will have to bend
Wherever the darky may go.
A few more days and the troubles all will end
In the field where the sugar cane grows.
Just a few more days for to tote the weary load,
No matter 'twill never be light.
A few more days till we totter on the road,
Then my old Kentucky home, good night.
[Chorus]

======

6. America the Beautiful

O beautiful for spacious skies for amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain!
America! America! God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for heroes prov'd in liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved, and mercy more than life.
America! America! May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness, and every gain divine.

O beautiful for patriot dream that sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam undimmed by human tears.
America! America! God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea.

======

7. Home on the Range

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam
And the deer and the antelope play
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day

[Chorus]Home, home on the range
Where the deer and the antelope play
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day

How often at night when the heavens are bright
With the light from the glittering stars
Have I stood there amazed and asked as I gazed
If their glory exceeds that of ours
[Chorus]

Oh, I love those wild flow'rs in this dear land of ours
The curlew, I love to hear scream
And I love the white rocks and the antelope flocks
That graze on the mountaintops green
[Chorus]

======





8. Farewell Lilly Dear

Oh Lilly dear it grieves me the tale I have to tell,
Old master sends me roaming so Lilly fare you well.
Oh fare you wll my true love; farewell old Tennessee;
Then let me weep for you, love, but do not weep for me.

[Chorus] Farewell forever to old Tennessee
Farewell, my Lilly dear, don't weep for me
Farewell forever to old Tennessee
Farewell, my Lilly dear, don't weep for me

I'm going to roam this wide world, to lands I never hoed;
With nothing but my banjo to cheer me on the road,
And when I'm sad and weary, I'll make the banjo play,
To 'mind me of my true love when I am far away
[Chorus]

I wake up in the morning and walk out on the farm;
Oh Lilly is my darling, she takes me by the arm;
We wander through the clover down by the riverside;
I tell her that I love her and she must be my bride
[Chorus]

Oh Lilly dear 'tis mournful to leave you here alone;
You'll smile when I am with you and weep when I am gone;
The sun can never shine, love, so bright for you and me,
As when I worked beside you in good old Tennessee.
[Chorus]

======

9. The Church in the Wildwood

There's a church in the valley by the wildwood,
No lovelier spot in the dale;
No place is so dear to my childhood,
As the little brown church in the vale.

[Chorus]Come to the church in the wildwood,
Oh, come to the church in the dale,
No spot is so dear to my childhood,
As the little brown church in the vale.

How sweet on a clear, Sabbath morning,
To list to the clear ringing bell;
Its tones so sweetly are calling,
Oh, come to the church in the vale.
[Chorus]

There, close by the church in the valley,
Lies one that I loved so well;
She sleeps, sweetly sleeps, 'neath the willow,
Disturb not her rest in the vale.
[Chorus]

There, close by the side of that loved one,
To the trees where the wild flowers bloom,
When the farewell hymn shall be chanted
I shall rest by her side in the tomb.
[Chorus]

From the church in the valley by the wildwood,
When day fades away into night,
I would fain from this spot of my childhood
Wing my way to the mansions of light.
[Chorus]

======

10. Goober Peas

Sitting by the roadside on a summer's day.
Chatting with my messmates, passing time away.
Lying in the shadows underneath the trees,
Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas.

[Chorus] Peas, peas, peas, peas eating goober peas.
Goodness how delicious, eating goober peas.

When a horseman passes, the soldiers have a rule
To cry out at their loudest "Hey mister here's your mule"
But another pleasure enchantinger than these
Is wearing out your grinders eating goober peas.
[Chorus]

Just before the battle the general hears a row.
He says "The Yanks are coming. I hear their rifles now."
But he looks around in wonder and what do you think he sees?
The Georgia militia eating goober peas.
[Chorus]

I think my song has lasted almost long enough.
The subject's interesting but rhymes are mighty tough.
I wish this war was over and, free from rags and fleas,
We'll kiss our wives and sweethearts and gobble goober peas.
[Chorus]

Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life
Posted by Picasa
Post a Comment

Official Linden Blog