Saturday, 30 May 2009

After Second Life


RURU CLUB Lovelock

Don't get me wrong, I don't see Second Life as a failure. This is not only because it is where I collect my social theory data, but the clear indicators of number of people online, loyalty of key joiners and continued growth of both economy, users and size prove that Second Life will be a critical shaper of virtual reality for some time to come.

But the shape it is taking is not impressing me right now. I see a landscape of walls, castles, private weather systems and malls in an isolated set of mismatches. As a "place" as a land or world it is not forming in to a meaningful thing. Rather it is just a random collection of things linked by social networks. The land of Second Life is just data storage, things are placed here or there and linked via networks that do not mean anything in the land.

This means the concept of large Island, continent, nation, place are all lost for the most part. The fact that I am next to something means really nothing in Second Life, its all just sprawl. Only in the themed SIMs or LL public land do large spaces come together to form something with meaning.





Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Official Linden Blog