Wednesday, 29 April 2009

Science Fictionary

Note card from Pooky Amsterdam

We come (& WELCOME!) to the Science Fictionary already inspired by centuries of writing; here is our chance to make history with a science fiction story in the round. Yes, we will create literature of the future about the future using the present future we inhabit here.

-Take your spot, your turn will come and you will have a paragraph to add to our weekly literary voyage.

All very welcome, established writers and simply curious critics alike! The weekly meeting of Science Fictionary is held on Thursdays at NoonSLT (7pm GMT) hosted by Pooky Amsterdam at Nature's Rooftop Cafe.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Elucian%20Islands/112/91/44

For more info, IM Joanna Wombat or Pooky Amsterdam

See you there!
**********************************************

So why do stories always start?

Did you ever notice that stories, no matter what they are about have to start?

Even after we had developed memory implants so people could drive backwards from any point to anywhere they wanted to, stories still had to start.

I think that has to do with power. Politics, back in the day everything was politics. We called it civilization.

But what the hell, I am just the cat, they brought two of them together but only one cat.

There are cats here. But cats on this new planet are massive things, they have massive teeth and are several times the size of a human. They just like to fornicate and kill things. One time one of these cats got a smell of me and I had to burn the thing before it could get a hold of me.

Since then I have made my skin in to a protective fire encasing.

Ah but they had forgotten just how much stuff was back in the old world, stuff hidden in the folds of 11th dimensional space, things coded in to nano-ps, things that could be in a cat.

I know these naked monsters dancing about this new world full of big cats and furry elephants and humans who put mud on their faces and hair, and I “elect” to not tell the story they want.

I elect to be a villain. I elect to help them fail in ruining another world.

And this will be my story......Rober123


Human population: 1.37T Proboscines: 12M Felines: 1.5G. Cetaceans: 4M. Corvines: 100M. Psittacidae: 25M. All non-human primates: 20M....Marion

I am male of course, a real BDSM Master stalking the earth, with real powers over women and the weaker men. I cull the earth like a plaque only allowing the strong and beautiful to survive. I am a Master here on Earth with powers but a mortal never the less..........Canis

I gripped the staff as the last fire was put out. The last tooth left its mark like a right of passage. The mud stretched across my eyes and blinded me. All I had left was my sense of fear....Adrian

Wiping away the mud, I slowly opened my eyes and blinked as the sparkles from the fire persisted in my vision. As the world swirled back into view, I could see all around me men, women and children lying prone; a makeshift graveyard in front of me as the victorious army marched away....Joanna

But then another group of trailing army troops followed closely behind. Now I was in hiding. The day came and went with the constant stream of particle ships flitting across the sky. The non-ending skyways were filled with the vessals of commerce supplying the central worlds with food and supplies and the cat food filled cargo holds." "Someday, I will control it all."
But the Earthgrid only allowed changes through the strictures of the modes of commerce and my task would not be simple. The coast was clear and I stood up and I straightened out my clothes and wiped the mud away. And ran towards the control window stepping over the bodies of the dead. "Meow!" I said to the shocked depot manager. His look of disgust made me tingle to my paws, but he would be in the groups that I controlled after my plans were turned into action......Courteous

I woudl have to somehow marshall the alleigence of the other creatures first. I would have to form alliances with the others and they couldnt see my digust at their homliness and pathos. Hmm inorder to have all the cat food i wanted and to be pet and adorned in a style befitting my obvious superiority might take some planning. But lets face it- whoever these mongrels (& I say that in the nicest possible way) were, I needed them. The trick was to convince them they needed me.....Pooky

Meanwhile the depot manager has disappeared from sight and has set my instincts tingling, it's a bright night, both moons are full, just my luck. Even humans are able to see my silhouette. I need to calm down, find a safe place and prepare......Miroirs

There were no felines within a parsec of this area. There were useless primates - and parrots. There was no point recruiting parrots, of course. But I had to admit that their capacity for scheming was unparalleled. You could trick them into giving advice - history showed that.....Marion

I know of a local. He limps since a flying accident. He has connections. None I care for, but useful nonetheless........Adrian

At the very least he could offer me shelter, although I cringed to think of the price. But there was nothing to be done. I set off away from the battlefield, over the hill. It seemed quieter here, as if the horizon had provided an invisible barrier. But as I drew closer to his entrance, I saw the signature technicolour swarm and knew the parrots had beaten me to it......Joanna

There was the entrance just ahead but the parrots stood guard. The light from the full moon could be my demise. I saunter and enter the service kitty entry. No parrots take notice. I then serreptitiously and take the transteleporter to the level below control. There he is, hard to mistake with the limp. "Meow!" He turns and looks. I stare at the control card hanging around his neck and pull out the handful of large denominations credits and smile, my canines extending into my whiskers. Of course he takes the creds and hands me a copy of the pass that he renders in the duplicator and pushes it into my palm without looking down as he scans the empty room. I take the card and scurry down the hall. and then I was inside of the committee building. The sound of the battle being waged just outside.....Courteous

It isnt pretty and i woudl give anything to be back in my own sandbox, but this seems highly unlikely at present. I used to rule over an entire domain, and my commands were obeyed. I made sure my favorites were taken care of and of course relished punishing those who I disfavored. Now I am just another cat let out of the bag. No one knows of my regal heritage. I wave my paw and curse at my plight.........Pooky

Doesn't matter the creature.. large or small, wise or birdbrained.. they all wanted something, usually an illusion of power. Power over a mate, a clan, a pool of muck. Being feline, I naturally ken, it's only a matter of connecting supply lines so once-enemies become habitual dependents. And I take my delicious cut, be sure of that.

Those armored goons want to frighten me with blastfire, shocknoise. I admit, I'm as scaredycat as any.. thank Morris for the sensory filters! or long ago I'd have been a quivering closeted kitty, or worse - a corpsicle.

The conference is full, there sits General Koontz at the head, scowling at poor Hesperus. To my right is the triad of sentient Probos.. gloating over their recent capture of the Poul Valley.
I take my place next to my dear human proxy, Lessing..............Physeter

Lessing thinks he's in charge, of course, but despite his human flaws, he is as good a proxy as I could wish for. Intelligent, slow to rush in without engaging his brain, and best of all, loyal to me to the death. Handy, especially now, as General Koontz's gaze spinss round and fixes directly on us..................Joanna

"You imbecile! The battle is a complete diaster out there- They were supposed ot destroy eachother completely- now one of the sides will surely win, and that means we have to fight the victor. Not good, not good at all...Why did you unload the taser reunifaction nano blasters on them? Imbeciles! Idiots! I left you in charge...........for what? We have almost no chance of overcoming them now"...............Pooky

"I don't give a damn about the ape warrens! If we can't get the bats working with us against the birdbrains, then we'll lose the advantage." Koontz fairly snorted smoke. I winked at Lessing save the day.

"General, the bats agreed to roost out parrots in sectors 6A throuhg 11D-subi. And best of all, we have a treaty with the Alpha Whale Pod to place our fleet off the shores of Demerol!".....Physeter

A collective gasp rolled round the table. Even I couldn't hold back a tiny smile as Lessing looked evenly at the General. "The Pod has given us 30 minutes to transport the first wave into the bay. They want the waters calm before they form the barricade. With your permsission, General, we will leave immediately?".................Joanna

"Agreed, everyone will take an ipod, fully" charged.......Slack7639

Lousey equipment, a bitter general and fools on the hills. Still Lessing wasnt a complete Nimrod. He was beautiful in an odd way too, he carried the sheen of someoen who had taken the high road in an arguement more than once. His eyes were smart, he had good peripheral vision. But he wasnt a cat, lets face it. Occasionally I had pretended to fall asleep under his arm though, human contact still had some meaning.
"Yes general, I will report from the beach. Who is charge of the aviary attack? Those bats wont hang around waiting for too long. Can we upload the sonar to the ipod for direct communication? Might be easier, ma'am"

Had to love Lessing, he did know how to use that charm....Pooky

Rather than ride with the General, I had Lessing give a pretext that we needed to divert briefly to deliver arrange the protein drop on Psitcave 14. Koonts said, "Fine, fine, take my private comjet. I expect to see progresss on the parrot front soon!"

Grinning, we hopped aboard the gleaming craft. Lessing pulled a scrumptios treat from the cabinet and laid it daintily in a silver dish for me.

"Lessing," I purred between nibbles, "Make sure that we get all guano rights, and I want our armory moved to the safest batcave as soon as possible." - Physeter

Now a strategy would have to be developed from the piece of action still viable for our postion. Lessing had that hard look that humans often take, he was sneering, "The Guano is part of corporate trade, if you want a profit, find a winnable war, not this battle." This was right and the bats in the sectors were more interested in a win than any profits to be made. "Look lessing, think like a cat and figure out where some profit lies." I said as I turned in my seat of the humming comjet waiting to liftoff..............Courteous

Without so much as a warning, Lessing pressed the button and we lifted off. I could feel him simmering by my side, but humans have a tendancy to sulk and I had more important things to worry about as he navigated round a thick cloud of bats to the north. Despite his irritation, he knew my mind better than anyone, and in asingle movement, tipped the Comjet up, over the hill - and out of Koontz's radio contact...
Joanna

The whales wanted krill, the krill wanted plankton, the plankton wanted nutrients. Simple food-chain economics. War was simply a way to re-distribute resources, after all. With the Cetacean Alliance on our side, the fisheries (lickmylips!) would thrive, providing protein for the desperate humans.

Already, my shell companies were operating in the black.. through them, Lessing owned more than half of the depot, and through him, so did I......................Physeter

Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liquidizers can vary found in bills, established variations, lineaments, not to mention
special deals and as well as prices. As little girls, i in most cases have a standard point of view of creating our own
homes by having fascinating rooms or fronts. This this as a rule veggie juice by means of watermelon making sure
that an individual doesn't tackle pulp plus come deposits on the inside juice.

Review my site; cheap juicer machine uk

Official Linden Blog