Saturday, 21 March 2009

Pooky Media, content from Second Life


http://www.the2ndquestion.com/

Note card from Pooky Amsterdam


As of March 24th the name of my show will change. To all who watch, I wanted to make some comment about the changing of the show name and of course brand. The 2nd Question is the show I created on Second Life, and wanting to use the numerical identity at the time of “2nd”, went through a few names using it. Some of the names I thought of had links to previous existing works and movements such as “The Second Wave” which is of course a response to Alvin Toffler’s book “The Third Wave.” Or “The Next Wave” which referred to an art movement in the late 70’s – early 1980’s called “The New Wave.”

Waving being a part of my thought process, I probably would have used a hand for those logos too. In the end I found a beautiful “healing hand”, and this is what I chose. For I truly believe that we do heal ourselves and others with an uplifting of the mind, and with the greater goal of humanity in mind. The hand also had resonance within Second Life, so it seemed to fit. In the end, as the show was to be a kind of question and answer show, I chose “The 2nd Question” the hand and the question mark.

Paradox Olbers, the show Guru, asked me if there was to be a question mark at the end of it, and I responded, in my natural element, that of excitement, “No, an exclamation point!” And I have been full of them ever since the show launched, almost a year now, we will celebrate a full year on April 10th which was our very first show.

In all things there is change at times, in the modern world we live in we get used to it, are on our mental roller skates, ready to see format change, technological change (which of course has happened very rapidly over the past 30 years) and even change in the landscape of all things familiar. Still when something we have come to identify with, and appreciate doing changes, we want to know why. We want to know more. Probably as part of our own thought processes, to help us with the identity these things we like and love mean to us. Or just to fill in those blanks of curiosity. Having a very curious mind myself, and thinking my great audience does too, I wanted to say a bit more about why the name of the show is changing.

I was asked, very nicely by the way, to change the name by the Trademark Department of Linden Labs. The use of the word “2nd” is after all their brand, and wouldn’t I be better off in some ways to have as the name of the show, one that is independent of Second Life? And you know, I had to agree. I had picked the name because of Second Life, to continue, I had to establish the identity outside of it.

The show is a remarkable journey each week into knowing more about the great people who have made our metaverse of choice the place it is and also a real field trip into learning. One that is exciting, interesting and inspiring. The questions are meaningful because it is valid to know, and identify with the important stuff that happens in our physical world, the one we live in: today, yesterday and tomorrow. That is also inspiring. I know people have said to me, “I actually said last night, ‘I learnt that on The 2nd QuestioN!’.” That makes me so proud and happy. Indeed that is what I strive for. For who knows where the spark of inspiration to do something remarkable will come from. We must begin by knowing, and must begin by having our information store added to. The show is entertaining and so we recall what we learned there. It is a valuable hour, one I am thrilled with each week.

One of the MANY things I have learned from the show, is how remarkable a species the human being is. How much we have accomplished, how driven and how brilliant we are. And how kind and compassionate and deep our legacy is to each and every generation, and to each other, to whom of course we have the greatest responsibility to, outside of ourselves.

The past weeks quotes, said a lot for me. “The first rate mind is only happy when it’s thinking.” True, true………..the show is a celebration of thought, of accomplishment and of intellectual hope. I know of no other place in Second Life that gives the rewards we do for intellect on a weekly basis. And, “Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials.” So what do we have here? The first rate mind, and the elimination of non-essentials. The questions are essential, not only to the show, of course, but also to our species. We will only grow through asking why, how, what, when and where? We need to ask, and also to find answers from each other, from ourselves and also from those who have discovered before us. So here we come to “The 1st Question”, and all questions are the starting point of new questions, maybe all questions have some kind of “1st” provenance. That’s the way I see it, all questions are a beginning of a journey and voyage into knowing, which brings up another “1st Question” And lets face it going from 2nd to 1st is a step up, one I am glad to make.

This is our journey now together. See you Tuesday night at 7PM, the show is what it always has been, that won’t change. We still have a lot of Questions to ask. 1st Questions that is.

With much appreciation to you
Pooky Amsterdam
S;-D



Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life
Posted by Picasa
Post a Comment

Official Linden Blog