Friday, 20 February 2009

Contacts in Second Life, Web 2.0 corner stone


The contact is a key hyper-media object in Second Life. A contact is like a worm hole in the social space of Second Life, linking wildly different spaces through an avatar to avatar connection. Through contacts you can be introduced to networks both inside of SL and outside, and find groups people with shared interest have joined.

If you find a place in Second Life that is cool you should by all means ask people to be contacts. The worst they can do is say no. I have over 300 contacts myself by my last count. I have reached a point where I am never alone in Second Life. Any time I come online there is someone in my contacts.

One of the thing people often say about Second Life is that it is full of ghost towns. I think people need to keep in mind that individuals that the closest relationships in Second Life don't take place in the space, but via private IMs. In a way Second Life is just an advanced IRC with some graphic abilities. Some friends I make in SL are NEVER in the same space as me. Some contacts I have made via objects or groups and never been in the same SIM with them.

Rober1236 Jua the Cyber Trekker of Second Life
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Official Linden Blog